Have you been applying to every open position you find, but have not yet found a job? In today’s job market you must market yourself to stand out from the hundreds of other applicants doing the same thing you are.
What can you do? Below are a few tips that can help you stand out and get the position you are looking for.
- Read over the qualifications of the position. Apply for positions where you meet most of the qualifications or can show how your experience and/or education can relate to the qualifications of the positions.
- Provide a custom cover letter in addition to your resume. The cover letter needs to highlight how your experience, education, and personality make you a perfect fit for the position. Additionally, the cover letter needs to specifically address the position you are applying for. Pay attention to the spacing of words on the page, an attractive overall appearance, and the feel of the paper. Seems picky but remember you need to stand out.
- Provide a job specific resume. Everyone should have one resume where they keep employment, education, and training up to date, but before submitting the resume to an employer it should be customized to fit the potential position.
- Provide accurate contact information. Seems obvious doesn’t it? But, you would be surprised at the number of resumes that have incorrect telephone numbers and email addresses. Additionally, make sure your voicemail is appropriate and professional for potential employers. Have a professional email address. If you are still using email@example.com it’s time to update or set up a separate email for your resume.
- Proofread before hitting send. Before you hit send on that resume, you need to take a couple extra minutes to read it through. You need to make certain that there are no errors. There shouldn’t be any spelling mistakes, typos, or grammatical errors. Keep an eye out for any kind of formatting errors as well.
- Be prepared for a phone interview. To help streamline the process, most employees do a phone interview as a screening before a face-to-face interview. Make sure you are answering your phone when you can, and checking your voicemails. You don’t want to miss out on an opportunity.
Good luck and happy job hunting! Visit dayair.org/who-we-are/employment to check out our current job openings!