Remodeling has the ability to make us happier in our homes, but some updates add more value when it comes time to sell or refinance your house. When tapping into a home’s equity with a Home Equity Loan or Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) available from Day Air Credit Union, it’s helpful to think about what kind of return you might expect to get. Here are 5 home improvement projects to consider that may increase the value of your home.
- Minor Bathroom Remodel
- Let’s face it, we spend a lot of time in our bathrooms, so an upgrade that makes this important room more comfortable, efficient and practical makes a lot of sense and can be a selling point for anyone buying a home. A minor bathroom remodel which involves things like; replacing the tub, tile, floor, sinks, lighting and vanities can be done for around $10,000 and provides an impressive return on investment.
- Limited Kitchen Remodel
- Another great home improvement option is a limited kitchen remodel. Implementing cosmetic updates to modern kitchen can be done about $15,000 and will add more value to your home when it comes time to sell. Plus it will likely boost your enjoyment of everyday activities and time spent with your family. Experts say major renovations that cost more will not give you a better return.
- Exterior Home Improvements
- Curb appeal is important for resale and can very efficiently can get you good return on your money, invested at a 95% return, according to HGTV. When thinking about curb appeal it’s important to remember it is much more than landscaping, in fact improvements to vinyl siding, entry doors and garage doors have a much bigger impact on resale value. Remember, if you do eventually decide to sell your home, most buyers will do a drive-by inspection first. If they aren’t impressed by the outside, they may not even bother to look inside.
- New Room
- Does your house have an empty space that could be converted into something? While this may seem cumbersome at first, converting an unused space can often be done efficiently and effectively with the right contractor. Plus it’s a quick way to give your family more living space and provides a 93 percent average return when you sell your house, according to HGTV.
- New Windows
- There is more than meets the eye when it comes to adding new windows to your home. Yes, new windows will likely enhance your home’s curb appeal but they’ll also help with insulation. In the Miami Valley, that means your home will stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter – and you’ll save money on your utilities year round.
Financing Your Home Improvement Projects
Many home owners take advantage of the equity in their homes to complete home improvements. Day Air Credit Union offers home equity loans with flexible terms, up to 100 percent financing and local service When financing a remodel, be sure to set aside about 10 to 15% of your budget for unexpected expenses. You want to be sure you have enough to complete your project.